Class Warfare, Blog Style
Click through to the blog I Am 1 Percent, bookmark it (and subscribe) then come back here and read this piece. It will be waiting.
One of the beautiful things about having a web site or blog is it allows people who wouldn’t otherwise have an audience to get their message across to more people. Combine Free Speech with cheap amplification and you’ll understand why the so-called blogosphere is such a disruptive thing.
Free Speech is an interesting subject – it means people can say whatever they want, regardless of whether it’s a good idea or not. We have to tolerate speech which we disagree with, with few exceptions. But luckily, Freedom of Speech has another side – it lets us spot the idiots and the haters.
To wit, this piece on the blog The End of Insanity excoriating our friend at I Am 1 Percent for… I’m not sure, exactly. Now, I’m not saying you have to agree with everything someone writes – as a matter of fact, I disagree with huge amounts of information disseminated from the media and other blogs (if I didn’t I wouldn’t run this site). Yes, I also disagree with some of the points made at I Am 1 Percent – but that doesn’t mean I’ll pen a post cursing him for being stuck up and take personal offense to something on his site.
Of course, “The End of Insanity” didn’t end the discussion. Mo’ Money Mo’ Houses weighed into the debate with a post discussing that original 26 words post (thankfully longer than at Insanity). Unlike I Am 1 Percent, MMMH’s site title is meant ironically as a play on the author’s last name. Of course, the 1% bashing continued:
” First off, there’s only so much room in that tiny percentile, and secondly, who f***ing writes a blog like that besides Gwenyth Paltrow?”
“Listen, I’m not trying to bash this guy, but reading his blog made me realize something.”
First off, when someone says “I’m not trying to ____”, you can be 90% sure that whatever is in the blank is exactly what that person is trying to do. Second, why is the immediate response to squelch his speech? He really shouldn’t even be writing because why… some celebrity does? Save the internet for the middle class?
Here’s someone who picked an admittedly controversial name, yet writes strategies for people who haven’t achieved his level of success to emulate. Recognize that and take it or leave it.
I, for one, welcome a blog that isn’t like the rest of them.
Links to Us!
- Carnival of Wealth
- Carnival of Financial Discipline (né Financial Independence)
- Carnival of Personal Finance
- Yakezie Carnival
- Free By 50
Articles We Like!
- Cross the taxes in the PPACA with an equation detailing the income made by Americans in 2010 and what do you get? This article, by Political Calculations. Read it.
- Len Penzo gets 20 loads of laundry for no extra cost. Hawaii sounds worse than the Bay Area!
- JT at Money Mamba discusses the coming commercial property crunch (or conversion!).
- Nelson at Financial Uproar tries to define ‘retirement’. Maybe ‘quitting your day job’ is the right term?
- At My Journey to Millions, a post on the new 401(k) disclosure rules… and why quarterly statements will be more interesting.
- Consumerism Commentary asks if Landlording is a good idea. With prices as they are, I personally don’t mind a little hassle…
The Olympics in 3 Words
USA! USA! USA!