Welcome to the first edition of the weekender – DQYDJ’s weekly update. Previously I had tossed these things out like flyers in Vegas, but this format should allow me to make things a little more interesting for your reading pleasure. Truth is… blogs don’t update as much on weekends. Well, we like to refer to DQYDJ as a web site (Aristocrats!). What’s the difference? There is none, really. Call us whatever you want. Just remember we update on weekends.
I told you last week I couldn’t wait to annoy you with site updates as we expose ourselves to criticism on new social networks! Want to talk trash publicly? We’re now on Twitter (101 followers) and Facebook (22 likes). What does that mean? I’m sure it means we’re more legitimate than we were last week. Good work, DQYDJ community! Without readers like you to hate our writing we wouldn’t have had the incentive to start those pages. Thanks for coming back.
Welcome two new web sites to our blogroll. We highly suggest you click through to see what they are about! In alphabetical order:
- MoneyMamba – You’re probably sick of our back and forth link-love anyway, so here’s a permanent link on the right side of the screen!
- My Journey to Millions – Evan is the man, and if his site was human it would also be the man.
Carnivals and Links
We finally get to some content… No one ever said brevity was a skill necessary to write for DQYDJ!
- Jackie at MoneyCrush was gracious enough to host our third ever guest post, entitled “Automate Your Finances“. If you haven’t seen her site yet, it’s a great resource for debt management. As a Software Engineer, I’ve got to give props for the Debt Applications!
- “Mortgages vs. Inflation: The Real Mortgage Rate is Historically Low…” made it into the Carnival of Personal Finance over at Retire by 40. We should also highlight the clip of the week: Kevin at Thousandaire’s Pre-nup Video! JT at MoneyMamba also liked it – thanks JT, we enjoyed writing it! Read JT’s article “Investing Like the Pawn Stars” and definitely weigh in about Chumley.
- “From Wall Street to Main Street – A Crisis of Responsibility” – was hosted in the Yakezie Carnival at Prairie Eco-Thrifter. Thanks go to Paul at The Frugal Toad for the great post and the great discussion in the comments section! We’re also now an honorary member of his blogroll. If you aren’t reading Paul’s stuff you’re definitely missing out…
- “Quit Worrying about Greece and MF Global” – made an appearance over at Hope to Prosper. Read the original article, “What if Everything you Know about Money is Wrong?“. You know we love Bret’s stuff here – he was our first blogroll link.
- “Am I a Hypocrite? PKamp3′s Spending in 2011” was featured at Money Q&A in their entry into the Dollar Challenge! The participation across sites has been great! Also read “Money Fail: Lenders of Last Resort“.
- ” Should Art and Psychology Majors Pay Higher Student Loan Rates?” made an appearance at Master the Art of Saving! Glad people still enjoy it!
- “All About Credit Cards and the Perfect credit Card Spending Strategy” was picked up by Lisa at Thriftability. She’s been overhauling her site, so I demand everyone control clicks this link and checks out her site.
- “Special Weekend Open Thread Extra: Nearly NARmal ” was the topic over at Burbed last weekend (prompted by your favorite internet writer!). They are, without doubt, the funniest Bay Area real estate site on the internet.
- “The Curious Connection Between Guns and Credit Cards (Infographic)” – they stole our line! Haha, good stuff, we love when we find stuff backing up our analogies. It makes people think we can see the future…
- “Unsent Letters: I’m Over My Job (Again) Edition” – We love Andrea’s style. She doesn’t send the letters, but she definitely publishes them!
- “Keynesian vs Hayekian Economics – The Solution To Our Recession?” – Good stuff from the Personal Finance Whiz!
- “Connecting the Dots for Ethanol, In Pictures” – Because the ethanol subsidy is more than just bad policy – its disruptions cause a host of other problems as well.
- “5 Reasons To Be Optimistic About Student Loan Debt” – it’s good that costs have increased? Well… yes! Read the article.
- “It’s A Bad Day When A Munchkin Dies” we just found Joe’s blog (after he found ours!) and we’re impressed. He’s got that particular brand of snark that reminds us of… well… us. Read it!
- “A letter to the Occupants of Occupy Toronto – We get it, now get moving” Kamara has had enough of the Occupying, so go occupy her blog long enough to read her well-reasoned (and fair) open letter.
This section is new. I’ll toss rants, facts and randomness at you that doesn’t fit in a full article. Well, let’s not put that restriction on it… doesn’t fit into a full article, “yet”. It’s going to be free form so don’t freak out if the format changes week to week. Today, let’s just ask a question.
Readers, are you paying attention to the Republican Primary Race yet?