One more week, one more Weekender!
Back for more? We don’t blame you. We enjoy writing it, so please keep reading it!
First up, let’s highlight some social stats:
Second up, we got a nice review from Tom Hynes at PR News Wire (Tom blogs about blogging, so he is a metablogger!). There is no quicker way to the cold heart of three numbers-obsessed madmen then to write a glowing review about us. Actually, you could write a scathing review too – we know all press is good press (Seriously, we love negative reactions. Passion is good.)! Still, we’re glad you picked the former…
Now a little blog-wide introspection, inspired by Tom’s second review (or round-up):
The phrase “Don’t Quit Your Day Job” is apostasy for many in the Personal Finance realm. Here’s how we see it: if you love your current job, there is no need to quit it, EVEN if you run a web site on the side. Obviously, the site name is just as sarcastic as your three favorite columnists – we hope your reaction to most of our stuff is to tell us to not quit our day jobs.
And isn’t that the point? If we continue our day jobs we won’t feel the need to shape our blog a certain way… and what will be will be (who knows what DQYDJ evolves into?)! Weigh in with what you think by agreeing or (more importantly) DISagreeing in our comments section. And check out Tom @ PR News Wire and see some of the other blog reviews he’s done!
Carnivals and Featured Links
Who linked to us this week? A short list of the other sites that like us!
- The Carnival of Financial Camaraderie.
- The Carnival of Personal Finance.
- The Yakezie Carnival.
- The Totally Money Carnival.
- And, for the first time, the Best of Money Carnival!
Look, there are tons of good posts every week. Go check out the carnivals I just linked!
- Financial Uproar likes our style – well, we dig your style too, dude (a cult classic!). Should people of the less attractive variety get additional benefits? Sound off… We liked MD’s guest post at Financial Uproar on females and their supposed attraction to money.
- 101 Centavos acknowledges our pocket protectors here at DQYDJ. On the internet everyone can see the pens in your pocket! College costs versus degree… Read Señor 101’s post on junk silver!
- Average Joe at The Free Financial Advisor Linked to our (obsessive, haha) article on Truck Driving. To all of our readers, let us know what you want us to obsess over for you (or with you!). Thanks again to Matt at Rambling Fever for the contributions! He will have a follow-up article soon, watch his page! Thanks also to JT for spawning the article, read his roundup here (I expect you to click every link in this bullet. Do it.) Also, be sure not to miss Joe’s article on capital gains distributions at the end of the year!
Stuff We Liked
- Yes, it happened. Dunder-Mifflin paper is sold in Staples.
- How much money did you readers spend on Black Friday? Also, congrats to Flexo on the sale of his site!
- Nelson at Financial Uproar makes a second appearance and asks an important question – is being an entrepreneur worth it? The drive for entrepreneur-ism is strong in the PF realm. Look, if your Day Job is good, don’t quit it. (Maybe this site is biased?)
- Ironman at Political Calculations (a site we’re obsessed with, being the numbers geeks we are…) wrote a post on the effect of the QE programs on the stock markets.
- I agree with Will at the Former Banker. Android needs better commercials!
- Control Your Cash (another site that we are becoming obsessed with) went through the Dow 30 and let us know the educational credentials of the CEOs. Guess what? STEM majors are overrepresented. Surprise, surprise!
- The Financial Samurai is one of the most bullish people in the PF realm! Seriously, if you are ever down, just follow him on Twitter for gems like this. He also wrote a post at Untemplater on the record Black Friday sales which you should definitely read.
- Retire by Forty reminds you to sell your losers before the year ends – since the time is running out!
The Last Laugh (I mean Comment)
It’s December. Don’t hate – we’re going to drop an article from the weekly rotation. Even stats-obsessed geeks like us have other responsibilities. Most likely you’ll get the Weekender and two other solid posts a week. We reserve the right to accelerate to 3 content posts a week again in January!
Don’t like it? Don’t know what to tell you… remember, we’ve all got Day Jobs.