What's up folks! How's your summer weekend going? High 90s here (in Freedom Units).
First up: our friend Nelson at Financial Uproar updated the stock picking contest tracker.
At least we're not last, right? (Read about our process, here).
Let's hit the links!
Links We Liked!
- Political Calculations wonders why we don't tax welfare benefits. Because there isn't benefit coordination, there are a number of welfare cliffs which disincentivize work - earn an extra $100 and lose $1,000 in benefits, for example. (See our negative income tax calculator for an alternative!)
- At a Wealth of Common Sense, an (convincing) argument that you're not calculating the stock market's current yield correctly.
- Cirque de Soleil purchased the Blue Man Group!
- At the Picky Pinchers, an argument against bottled water. We're a filtered water household (at least for drinking) but also had an interesting conversation about this over the 4th weekend. Baader-Meinhof indeed.
- A sign in the Scottish Highlands has great relevance to your attitude towards your investments, from Above the Market.
- From our friend Sherry at Save. Spend. Splurge.: no, you shouldn't have a child to keep a relationship going.
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology is about to redefine how the kilogram is defined.
- At Rockstar Finance, Mr. 1500 shares some of the key events on his journey to Financial Independence in his early 40s.
- Interesting discussion at Hacker News about side projects people have started that... didn't take off like the creator hoped. Someone should start a site documenting these and call it something like "Don't Quit Your Day Job...".