Happy Summer Olympics 2016!
Did you, like us, stay up for the entire opening ceremony?
We’re going to be either glued to the television or, at least, have it on in the background for Olympics time… so, through the 21st I guess it is. Good luck to all the athletes!
Here’s something funny, since rugby is coming back this year – in rugby the US are the defending champions. Well, sort of – back then 15-a side was in the Olympics (the type I played), and sevens is what will be played in Rio. Still, pretty cool!
Links We Liked!
The link of the week, if you haven’t seen it: the WSJ’s deep dive into cargo shorts. Are they acceptable? Are they acceptable to spouses? Why do they disappear from your closet?
- The NYT tried, late in the week, to have an even hotter (quite literally) take: was the discovery of fire a bad thing? (Poe’s Law, anyone? If not, it’s a worthy successor to the Luddite movement.)
- The Financial Samurai argues the fear of running out of money in retirement is overblown.
- USA! USA! Our kids went back to back in the International Math Olympiad!
- Two good pieces from the Zillow/Trulia family: Where are Millennials living alone? and Where can you get the most room for a starter home?
- Free By 50 shoots down the myth: no, not everyone worked 40 years for a single company in generations past!
- At Political Calculations, tracking dividends suggests the economy is starting to improve at an even faster pace.
- The situation in Venezuela continues to get worse. Socialism just hasn’t ever worked outside the classroom.
- Here’s a number of cold takes on a counter-intuitive trend: Millennials are having less sex than previous generations. What’s causing the decline, and could porn or video games be a factor? And, to scare you folks, here’s a somewhat depressing take on the effect of Tinder on the youth.