The bro-science is strong on both sides of the "does it work?" argument in this article, but I decided that yesterday I would block out some time (read: 9-5:45) to do Charles Poliquin's One Day Arm Cure. Shocks to lazy, adapted muscles and a bored CNS causing massive fluid retention? Uncontrollable swelling that lasts for weeks... just long enough for the measuring tape to pick it up? Or, possibly, that biggest of miracles - sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? I promise not to hold my breath for the last one.
Maybe it's a waste, but after so many years in the gym, gains are fleeting - so what's the hurt? Oh - I guess I know the hurt: here I sit today wondering somewhat whimsically if overworking small muscle groups is enough to cause rhabdomyolisis and cringing every time I extend my arms. We'll see which side of the broscience table I'll come down on once I can, you know, lift 20 lb objects again.
And with that in mind, who's ready for some football, of the late season and fantasy playoff variety?
Links We Liked!
- Congratulations to our friend Matt at Mom and Dad Money who recently had (well, his wife did, anyway) a second boy.
- Congrats is also in order to our friend and fellow talker Len Penzo, who recently celebrated 5 years spilling his heart (and brain) out to the internet.
- From Barry Ritholtz, writing at The Washington Post about your investment portfolio... how much cash should you hold?
- From Mr. Ritholtz's counterpart Josh Brown, a couple of posts on the bear/bull confusion: Many indicators pointing to an undervalued stock market, and one major sentiment pointing towards overvaluation. (Our thoughts haven't changed - positive returns over the next decade, but not at the recent torrid pace).
- Funny About Money with a recap of an extensive list of household tips - particularly impressive because it makes this blog look... young. Go visit for that and the tips!
- At Afford Anything, 3 solid ways to improve your savings. I agree with these, which makes them double plus good.
- 101 Centavos is back! Here's an example of what you folks have been missing out on, 10 ways to impress people at work. Now, to work on my penmanship... is there a one-day penmanship cure?
- What happens if "too many" people are in index funds? We don't know... but we might soon find out!
- Ready? They aimed and fired already, sorry: Control Your Cash doesn't like the emergency fund. 1% minus taxes seems like a pretty steep opportunity cost to me, too.
- We've written, what, 5 CAPE articles recently? Well, what if Shiller's CAPE is flawed? The Philosopher Economist takes it on.
Links to Us!