On this page we present an automatically updating platinum return calculator. Enter any dates since April, 2 1990, and we will compute the annualized and total returns on a platinum investment. Optionally, adjust returns automatically for inflation (CPI).
An Inflation Adjusted Platinum Return Calculator
Sources and Credits for the Platinum Return Calculator
- Inflation is based on the CPI-U from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. We use interpolation and extrapolation to present daily inflation indices; please see our original article, the Daily Inflation Calculator, for the full details on the methodology.
- The platinum price quotes are credit the London Platinum & Palladium Market, and the API is provided through Quandl.
- The prices are PM (2:00 PM local time) London Platinum & Palladium Market clearing prices quoted in dollars per ounce.
Platinum as an Investment
Platinum was first labeled as a precious metal in the 1700s, giving it a fair amount of time to be considered as investment quality – although it has nowhere near the storied history of silver and gold. Hopefully this data helps you make sense of the platinum market… or maybe it allows you to grasp a bit of the market before you invest in a certain expensive type of jewelry.
We, however, give no advice to the suitability of platinum in a portfolio – please consult an advisor to discuss if platinum is an appropriate option.
If you enjoyed this calculator, please try some of our other calculators:
- Inflation Adjusted Gold Return Calculator
- Real Estate Return Calculator
- Inflation Adjusted Palladium Return Calculator
- S&P 500 Dividend Reinvestment Calculator
- Inflation Adjusted Bitcoin Return Calculator
- Inflation Adjusted Silver Return Calculator