On this page we present an automatically updating (daily) platinum return calculator. Enter any two dates since April 2nd of 1990, and we will compute the annualized and total returns on money invested in platinum between those two dates. We also will automatically adjust the quoted returns for inflation, optionally, if you choose the “Adjust For Inflation (CPI)” option. Inflation estimates are daily, and interpolate (or extrapolate) depending on monthly CPI readings.
The prices are PM (2:00 PM local time) London Platinum & Palladium Market clearing prices quoted in dollars per ounce.
If you enjoy this calculator, please try some of our other calculators:
- Real Estate Return Calculator
- S&P 500 Dividend Reinvestment Calculator
- Inflation Adjusted Gold Return Calculator
- Inflation Adjusted Bitcoin Return Calculator
- Inflation Adjusted Silver Return Calculator
An Inflation Adjusted Platinum Return Calculator
Sources and Credits for the Platinum Return Calculator
- Inflation is based on the CPI-U from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. We use interpolation and extrapolation to present daily inflation indices; please see our original article, the Daily Inflation Calculator, for the full details on the methodology.
- The platinum price quotes are credit the London Platinum & Palladium Market, and the API is provided through Quandl.
Platinum as an Investment
Platinum was first labeled as a precious metal in the 1700s, giving it a fair amount of time to be considered as investment quality – although it has nowhere near the storied history of silver and gold. Hopefully this data helps you make sense of the platinum market… or maybe it allows you to grasp a bit of the market before you invest in a certain expensive type of jewelry.
We, however, give no advice to the suitability of platinum in a portfolio – please consult an advisor to discuss if platinum is an appropriate option.