Here’s something funny: I upgraded my carry on luggage yesterday and today. (Navali Boatswain for the laptop and an eBags “eTech 2.0 Weekender Convertible” in Olive for the carry on). Here’s another thing: I’m pretty excited about these things arriving.
What would college me have to say about this? Should present me review these things? How do you other writers handle these general utility type purchases, when you generally talk about buying capital…
On to the links!
Links We Liked!
- Nelson at Financial Uproar is fighting off overtures from the New York Times, but his cowriter Eddie wrote an excellent piece about not making additional mortgage payments. Go read it…
- Markets are frothy right now – so let’s talk buybacks. At Greenbackd, an article about company buybacks in the market today (hint: they aren’t counter-cyclical). Also of note, Bloomberg says 95% of S&P 500 company profits are going towards buybacks.
- On the dividends side, as far as I know Political Calculations is the only site keeping a close eye on the quantity of dividend cut announcements by companies.
- And if you’re into dividend investing, it’s best to sample some of the methodology of other dividend investors. Evan at My Journey to Millions shares his methodology, and includes a ton of examples.
- For many people, Budgets are Sexy has the best advice on how to deal with the market, and especially the talking-head-no-accountability experts… ignore them.
- At Funny About Money, when to avoid Costco. (Days that end in ‘y’? We don’t have a membership, but we piggyback when we can!)
- At Boomer & Echo: how many stocks should you own? (Me? Two individual companies – one is my employer. I have many, many accounts though, of many different tax treatments and costs.)
- Free By 50 has the numbers for the percentage of students that worked in college. (I did, yes, thanks for asking.)
- The Planting Our Pennies crew is waiting on a new neighbor – why don’t you buy?
- We edited it into our original real estate post, but please check out Reach Financial Independence’s review of quarter million dollar breakpoints in Guatemala Real Estate!