On this page is an individual income percentile by race calculator for the United States for 2018, which also includes Hispanic or Latino origin. Enter a full, pre-tax household income earned between January and December 2017 to compare income percentiles in the full year.
Income Percentile by Race and Hispanic Origin Statistics in 2018
Here is a table of summary statistics for earnings of individuals by race and Hispanic or Latino origin. Included are the average income by race and median income by race, as well as incomes for selected percentiles (including top 1%).
|Race||Average||Median Income||25th Percentile||75th Percentile||90th Percentile||Top 1% Income|
|Two or More Races||$43,094.00||$30,040.00||$12,310.00||$54,000.00||$90,001.00||$229,734.00|
|Hispanic or Latino||$38,484.99||$28,000.00||$15,000.00||$47,000.00||$76,000.00||$200,081.00|
How Many People per Race Made $100,000?
We did the math on the estimated number of workers by race and Hispanic origin who made 6-figures (or more) in 2017. The percentage of the estimated workforce is in parentheses.
- White (Not Hispanic or Latino): 17,586,375 (16.11%)
- Black: 1,400,130 (6.86%)
- Asian: 2,295,696 (21.87%)
- American Indian: 84,485 (7.01%)
- Two or More Races: 224,718 (8.61%)
- Hispanic or Latino of Any Race: 1,668,941 (5.58%)
- Pacific Islander: 33,760 (6.53%)
How Many People per Race Made $250,000?
We also often get questions about a quarter million in income. In full year 2017, here are our estimates for $250,000 or more in earnings. In parentheses is the percentage of the workforce.
- White (Not Hispanic or Latino): 2,243,167 (2.06%)
- Black: 134,914 (0.66%)
- Asian: 236,628 (2.25%)
- American Indian: 17,956 (1.49%)
- Two or More Races: 15,644 (0.60%)
- Hispanic or Latino of Any Race: 174,780 (0.58%)
- Pacific Islander: 4,152 (0.80%)
How Many Workers Were There by Race in 2017?
Following were the (estimated) number of workers in 2017 by race and Hispanic origin:
- White (Not Hispanic or Latino): 109,140,758
- Black: 20,396,139
- Asian: 10,495,755
- American Indian: 1,204,871
- Two or More Races: 2,609,891
- Hispanic or Latino of Any Race: 29,900,624
- Pacific Islander: 516,755
Source and Methodology on the 2018 Income Percentile by Race Calculator
Sarah Flood, Miriam King, Renae Rodgers, Steven Ruggles, and J. Robert Warren. Integrated Public Use Microdata Series, Current Population Survey: Version 6.0 [dataset]. Minneapolis, MN: IPUMS, 2018. https://doi.org/10.18128/D030.V6.0
See the individual income bracket article for details on the methodology of workers. We attempted to match the methodology of the Census summary [PDF] for household income by race and Hispanic origin, except with individual incomes. We use the RACE and HISPAN variables from IPUMS-CPS to reconstruct the set.
As for data quality, after we apply the worker screen from the individual income bracket post and the RACE and HISPAN filters, we generally have a good number of samples (with the exception of Pacific Islanders at 428). Per category, here is our sample count:
- White (Not Hispanic or Latino): 56,788
- Black: 10,313
- Asian: 6,016
- American Indian: 1,089
- Two or More Races: 1,627
- Hispanic or Latino of Any Race: 17,772
- Pacific Islander: 428