On this page is a 2022 income percentile by state calculator for the United States for either individual income or household income.
Enter pre-tax (gross) income earned between January and December 2021, and select a state and income type to compare an income percentile.
After: See the income percentile by city calculator for metro area. We also have an individual income calculator and household income calculator.
Household Income by State: Extremes of the Average, Median and Top 1%
Countrywide in 2022, median, average, and top 1% household income were $70,181, $102,310, and $70,003. More household details are found in the household average income post.
Here are some of the household income extremes per state:
- Highest Average Household Income: Washington, D.C. – $141,179.88
- Highest Average Household Income (Not D.C.): Massachusetts – $133,402.75
- Highest Median Household Income: Maryland – $97,184.00
- Highest Top 1% Household Income: Washington, D.C. – $983,500.00
- Highest Top 1% Household Income (Not D.C.): Connecticut – $957,703.00
- Lowest Average Household Income: Mississippi – $67,660.16
- Lowest Median Household Income: West Virginia – $46,519.00
- Lowest Top 1% Household Income: Mississippi – $312,628.00
The top 1% incomes, especially, were up significantly over 2021's edition.
Individual Income by State: Standouts of the Average, Median and Top 1%
In the US in 2022, the median individual income, average individual income, and top 1% individual income were $46,001, $66,755, and $401,622. More stats are available in the average individual income post.
By state, here are some of the individual income extremes:
- Highest Average Income: Washington, D.C – $109,137.58
- Highest Average Income (Not D.C.): Massachusetts – $86,599.69
- Highest Median Income: Washington, D.C – $77,081.00
- Highest Median Income (Not D.C.): Massachusetts – $60,000.00
- Highest Top 1% Income: Connecticut – $802,000.00
- Lowest Average Income: Mississippi – $50,715.26
- Lowest Median Income: Arkansas – $56,012.85
- Lowest Top 1% Income: South Dakota – $228,000.00
Source on the 2022 Income Percentile by State Calculator
Sarah Flood, Miriam King, Renae Rodgers, Steven Ruggles, J. Robert Warren and Michael Westberry. Integrated Public Use Microdata Series, Current Population Survey: Version 9.0 [dataset]. Minneapolis, MN: IPUMS, 2021. https://doi.org/10.18128/D030.V9.0
For data quality plus the estimated numbers of workers and households in each state, see the companion average income by state post.
For previous editions: